The little French Citroën 2CV could be considered ‘minimalist’, but during the years of austerity that followed the war, the ‘umbrella on wheels’ became a real success and later even got cult status. Although prototypes were made in the 1930s, production of the saloon started in 1949, followed in 1951 by a panel van, the Fourgonnette. Engine capacity was increased from 375 to 425cc in 1955.
Bought new in May of that year, this example served in the Alpes-Maritimes region north of Nice. When discovered in 2007 it had only 40,000km on the odometer. In 2008-2009 the then-owner, a Frenchman, painstakingly restored it to original specifications. It retains the original engine and gearbox. A dipstick had to be used to check the petrol level – it is still in the car.
From 1959 until 1973 the Dutch Automobile Association (ANWB) used yellow and black Citroën 2CV vans loaded with tools and other equipment to help stranded motorists on their way again.
425cc air-cooled flat-twin
Fully restored to original specifications